Sunday 10 October 2010

My friend Bertie




I do believe the Autumn social whirl must have started already – I was invited to ANOTHER PARTY last night, and there were lots of nibbles and a very large and very delicious bowl of fresh rain water, which I love! The party was at my friend Bertie’s house, he’s a 10 year old Schnauzer and a very handsome fellow indeed. We had to guard the nibbles very carefully because those humans kept eating them and so we both did our best at looking appealing and longingly at them to get them to give us some. We are well behaved dogs you see and wouldn’t ever think of stealing anything, especially not at a party. I do like Bertie very much but he is a strange sort of chap, he has a long beard which gets very wet when he’s had a drink and he shakes it everywhere – his owners get very cross about it and have to wipe his mouth after he’s had a drink. It’s really funny to watch but must drive him mad. He’s also got big eyebrows which make him look a bit fierce, although I have a feeling that he has them because he thinks they make him look intelligent. He’s had a bad time over the past year and had to have an operation on his leg, cruciate ligament I think they call it. So he was a bit out of sorts for a while but he’s better now and hardly limps at all thanks to his owners giving him the Dorwest Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablets every day to keep his joints in good shape. He is very, very worried about the forthcoming fireworks though – he suffers like I do from a fear of the bangs and crashes and is worried that his owners might forget to give him the Scullcap & Valerian tablets this year. He needn’t have worried as we had a good discussion about it all and decided to have a sneaky peek in his owner’s kitchen cupboard while they were busy doing what humans do – drinking and eating. When Bertie saw the Scullcap & Valerian tablets there on the shelf he was so relieved that he jumped up and down, ran around a lot and barked. Everyone wondered what on earth was going on, but I knew it was just relief. I reckon he’ll have the best night sleep for weeks now he knows that everything’s under control. Thank you for the party Bertie, it was good to see you and I did enjoy the nibbles……….

No comments: